ARTWEEK 2020 CANCELLED
Welcome to Holmfirth Artweek
One of the UK’s Largest Open Art Exhibitions, Featuring over 400 exhibitors and over 2,000 artworks, plus dozens of fringe venues across the local area with thousands more works of art and craft.
Holmfirth Artweek is a local event with a national reputation. The majority of the exhibitors are from this area but large numbers of visitors come from all over the country to view and to buy. It is astounding how much artistic talent there is locally and it is this that makes the event such a success every year.
As Holmfirth Artweek is a fundraising event, all work submitted must be for sale. A commission of 20% is charged on sales in the Exhibition, the Market & the Fringe with the proceeds being donated to Macmillan Cancer Support, and from 2020, the Artweek Fund – which will award grants to local art projects, in association with One Community.
The Exhibition in the Civic Hall is one of the biggest open exhibitions in the country featuring work by over 400 professional & amateur artists. As well as having work in the main exhibition, these artists can also sell smaller items on our Market for immediate purchase.
As Artweek is a fundraising event, all work submitted must be for sale. A commission of 20% is paid by artists on all sales made in the Exhibition, Market & Fringe. All proceeds are shared between Macmillan Cancer Support and the Artweek Fund.
Every year, Holmfirth Artweek encourages businesses and individuals in the Holmfirth area to create exhibition spaces and open their doors to showcase the work of artists from across the region. These feature an exciting and diverse array of work from photographers, painters, textile-makers, ceramicists, sculptors and more.
A commission of 20% is taken from sales in the Fringe, which is shared between Macmillan Cancer Support and the Artweek Fund.
Where and When
DATES FOR ARTWEEK 2020
Cancelled for 2020
Where is it?
The main exhibition takes place at Holmfirth Civic Hall, with additional Fringe venues dotted around the Holme Valley and Colne Valley areas. There is parking in the Co-op car park directly across the road from the hall.
Holmfirth Civic Hall
In aid of Macmillan Cancer Support
TO DATE, HOLMFIRTH ARTWEEK HAS RAISED:
FOR MACMILLAN CANCER SUPPORT
There are a number of different ways to get involved in Artweek:
- You can be an artist in the main exhibition – we pride ourselves on our openness, literally anyone can apply to exhibit, and there is no curation or selection process. All you have to do to apply as a public artist is use the link below to submit your application from 1st April.
- You can demonstrate your skills at the main exhibition – each day we have a variety of artists and craftspeople showing their artistic talents to our visitors, with the opportunity to also sell during this time with a commission of 20% to Artweek. E-mail if interested.
- You can be an artist in the fringe – Artweek encourages businesses and local artists to come together and put on fringe exhibitions, giving artists the opportunity to exhibit in different spaces and bringing Artweek into the local community. More details below.
- You can be a venue for a fringe – every year we are looking for great venues to host artists with their own exhibitions. Fringe venues get advertised along with our main exhibition in our Guide. More details below.
- You can donate your products to our cafe – we run a cafe throughout the week in partnership with the Civic Hall. Any donated goods increase the amount we can raise for our worthy causes. E-mail if interested.
- You can advertise your business in our guide – if your business isn’t suitable as a fringe but you’d still like to support Artweek, you can place an advert in our Guide, which reaches many thousands of people. More details below.
- You can volunteer a little time helping at the event – Artweek is entirely run by volunteers, we have a variety of roles and times to suit different needs. More details below.
- You can become a Friend – supporting Artweek and getting the first chance to view and buy from the exhibition at our preview. More details below.
Every year a number of artists are invited to exhibit. These are selected from artists who have been long-time supporters of Artweek, or are renowned in the area, or who have regularly sold well! We thank them for their support by inviting them to apply before the public application opens.
Invited artist applications are open throughout March, but you must have received an invitation code to proceed with your application.
Applications open from 1st March to midnight, 31st March.
Once we have allocated some space to our invited artists, the public application process opens…
Throughout April, anyone and everyone is invited to apply for a place to exhibit. Places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis as space allows, so make sure you get in quickly!
You do not need to know the details of your artwork to apply, we will come back to you for that information at a later date.
Applications open from 1st April to midnight, 30th April – or until all places sold out.
So you have a venue and you want to host a Fringe exhibition? Great! This is where you will apply. Please note the process has changed this year, and venues must register their interest before filling in the application – at this stage you won’t need to know your artist(s), just know what space you can offer. Full details below.
As a fringe venue you will get a full-page listing in the Artweek Guide and promotional materials to help publicise your event. It costs just £40 and 20% commission on your fringe sales, which will be shared between Macmillan Cancer Support and the Artweek Fund.
Applications to be a fringe venue for 2020 have now closed and all venues will be contacted directly. For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Artweek Guide
The Artweek Guide is a comprehensive directory of all exhibiting artists and fringe venues, and is available from shops, galleries, venues, pubs, restaurants, cafes and bars across the area. Be sure to pick up a free copy for your definitive guide to everything that you can see at Artweek.
EACH YEAR, HOLMFIRTH ARTWEEK ATTRACTS UP TO:
VISITORS TO THE MAIN EXHIBITION
...and we're looking for sponsors!
With such a footfall we’re sure that companies will be interested in teaming up with us. Holmfirth Artweek began in 1967 and has been running every year since, in the heart of Holmfirth. The exhibition is open to all and features artists from all over the country. It is one of the largest open art exhibitions in the UK.
We hope that local business will benefit from the exposure we can give them, and at the same time the revenue generated goes straight to a worthy cause. As far as we can see, that’s a win-win situation!
To become a sponsor, contact our sponsorship team at email@example.com
The Artweek Guide is an A5 booklet with a print run of 10,000 and is distributed across the region, finding its way into the hands of artists and art buyers both locally and nationally.
Our advertising rates are competitive, and every penny helps to support our causes – Macmillan Cancer Support and the Artweek Fund. If you are interested in advertising in the Guide, please contact the Artweek team at firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of March.
Become a volunteer
All the people you see front of house at the Exhibition are volunteers – stewards, door staff, cafe staff, sales staff, raffle ticket sellers (not to mention those behind the scenes who you may not see – organisers, screen builders, picture hangers, administrators, design and marketing, etc.). The whole event is run by volunteers and we need lots of people each day to keep things running smoothly.
If you can spare a few hours please get in touch with the Artweek team.
Become a Friend of Artweek
Membership of Friends of Artweek costs £20. For this you receive 2 tickets for the Saturday Preview evening, allowing you to browse at your leisure with a free glass of wine, and giving you the exclusive opportunity to purchase artworks before the exhibition opens to the public on Sunday. The tickets are also valid throughout the week for the exhibition.
If you wish to become a Friend, please fill in your details on the form below and post it back to us.
Holmfirth Artweek has been supported with a funding grant from One Community, the Kirklees Community Foundation